The Chicago-style hot dog is a culinary delight when built correctly. If you can’t visit Felony Franks in person to try our incredible Chicago-style dog, here’s how to make it at home:
1. The Bun- get a top quality, preferably organic, poppy seed bun.
2. The Dog- Find the best quality beef you can find. Try to find grass-fed organic beef that is free of nitrates and other yucky stuff. We promise that these really do taste better! Lay the dog in the bun.
3. Yellow Mustard- spread some organic yellow mustard across the dog and the bread.
4. Relish- Find the best organic sweet relish and spread it generously across the top of the dog. Don’t be shy because the relish is as important as the beef! Relish can make or break your hot dog experience.
5. Onions- Go to your local farmers market, food co-op, or organic grocery store and pick out the best white onions you can find. Finely chop and sprinkle them over the relish.
6. Tomatoes- While you’re at the market, pick up some beautiful organic tomatoes. Cut them into wedges. Lay two wedges lengthwise on one side of the hot dog.
7. Pickle- take an organic pickle wedge and lay it lengthwise on the other side of the dog from the tomatoes.
8. Sport Pepper- if you’re not from Chicago, or the south, you may not have heard of “Sport Peppers.” They are a type of hot pepper that is about an inch-and-a-half long, and produce medium heat. Put two Sport Peppers on top of the relish/onions.
9. Celery Salt- finally, sprinkle some Celery Salt over the entire assembly.
1. Ketchup is not used on a Chicago style hot dog. If you really want ketchup on your dog, we won’t judge. Just be sure to put the very highest quality organic ketchup on your dog.
2. We recommend the use of organic, sustainable foods because a) they taste better, b) they are healthier, c) they are better for the environment, d) animals used for food are treated more humanely (which actually does make them taste better), and e) because these items are going through your body, and as a human being you deserve to eat the highest quality food you can find and make. Just because hot dogs are fast food, they don’t have to be bad and unhealthy food.
Enjoy your Chicago style hot dog and please remember to visit Felony Franks when in Chicagoland!